Wednesday, September 26, 2007

The many Faces of Perception

You are who you THINK you are :-) Really?

My Step Dad recently had a mini stroke and had the big artery “roto rootered” because of a 90% blockage.

We have been talking every day since then. I know him since I was 14 years old and he is a very large part of my life even though we have not been close in the past 20 Years or so. My Mom recently passed away and so I have been “repairing the relationship” with my Step Dad. I won’t bore you with family details, but I suddenly realized that there is a Life Lesson in what is happening NOW and it can and SHOULD BE applied to all of us as Compassionate Marketers :-)

PERCEPTION IS EVERYTHING

Families being what they are, it has been MY perception that my Step Dad really didn’t care about me thus did not pay attention to anything about me.

Yesterday we were talking on the phone and I mentioned that I had recently been awarded a Top Builder’s Award from my company.

This is what he said to me; “You know RS, I always knew you were a terrific “sales” person.” But LISTEN to what he said next…. “I remember when you were 18 and had come for dinner. You were selling Colliers Encyclopedias back then. “(I ran a team of people who sold these great books door to door!)

He continued,

“We were almost ready to sit down for dinner and you asked if we could wait about 15 – 30 minutes or so because you had been chatting with Mr. Jimmie the Superintendent of our building and he wanted to know more about the Set of Encyclopedias. You went downstairs to speak with Mr. Jimmie and came back up for Dinner in 17 minutes and had sold the set to Mr. Jimmie and his family! You were so very excited RS. I remember because I congratulated you on your sale and YOU said that it was so great that Mr. Jimmie’s children would have the opportunity to learn from these great books because it would give them a better start in school and they would get better grades and have better opportunities!” He continued, “I was impressed that you were more excited about the future of Mr. Jimmie’s children than making the sale. I knew you had a great future ahead of you and whatever you did would involve helping others.”

WOW! My Step Dad, all these (4) DECADES later (yeah, I am that old, lol) remembers AND respects me for my talents, even now.

Perception IS everything and I have been operating under the perception that my Step Dad

1- did not consider me part of the family
2- care about or take notice of my accomplishments
3- did not feel that my accomplishments were worthy or valuable

A friend has recently suggested that when someone has a stroke that different parts of the brain become ACTIVATED and memories come flooding in. My NEW perception however, is that I have a Step Dad who never knew how to express his feelings and even though he may have cared about me all these years, he had never expressed those feelings. (He waited 40 years until our conversation the other day to tell me how proud of me he was/is)

ALTERING OUR PERCEPTION

1- We do not have control over OTHER peoples feelings or Actions, but we sure DO have control over our own perceptions, feelings and actions.

2- What things have happened in your life that are stopping you from believing in yourself and taking action on things that you want and dream about?

3- What people in your life may think you are special but don’t know how to express themselves?

4- What are you DOING to grow yourself (personal development) and understand that it is YOUR PERCEPTION of the world around you and YOUR PERCEPTION of an encounter with someone as a Compassionate Marketer that really matters.

If you care about others and have the desire to Help people Live their Dreams they will FEEL your sincerity and be comfortable and want to be around you. For whatever reasons, it took my Step Dad 40 years to reach out to me, and it took the same 40 years for me to take a step back and change MY perception by paying attention, being caring and listening with my heart!

You see you ALREADY ARE everything you want to be. You just have to take action and believe!

Practicing Abundance, Prosperity & Kindness EVERY DAY,

RS
RandiSusan Mallory
Compassionate Marketing
512.472.2604 Country Code 001
SKYPE: rsmallory

BE a Mentor with A Servant's Heart

Copyright © 2007 RS Mallory/Compassionate Marketing , All Rights Reserved. May be used with Proper Attribution

No comments: